A cooking and fitness fanatic.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Veggie Spring Rolls

So during my time at News 8 I got to see many, many, Connecticut Style segments. Now, naturally, the cooking segments were really the only segment I paid attention to and that is where I learned how to make these delicious little spring rolls. These aren't the heavy deep fried, Chinese style, spring rolls (which are delicious in their own way) but instead they are raw rice paper spring rolls. Yes... no cooking!

It all starts with the ever so fantastic rice paper for spring rolls. I think I almost jumped up and down when I found these in the international aisle at Shop Rite. Then the second most important ingredient... broccoli or rainbow slaw. From here, you can pretty much put anything in these little suckers. My favorite addition are pumpkin and sunflower seeds. However, I have a few variations... sometimes I'll put honey in with my ingredients, my favorite is putting crumbled feta and a bit of Parmesan peppercorn dressing, and today I even put Thai chili sauce with my veggie and seed mix.



Making these spring rolls couldn't be any easier, which is why I make them pretty much every day for lunch now. I first take a plate and pour enough water so it fills the bottom.I then take my rice paper, which is actually hard and crispy, and let it sit in the water until it becomes soft and translucent. You'll see in the picture below that you can barely even see the paper. After it becomes translucent, just hold the paper onto the plate and let the remaining water drip into the sink or trash.


Now you fill! I place all my ingredients on one half of the paper and then I fold the shallow side to cover my veggies, fold the two sides in, and continue rolling until you have a nice spring roll.


Tada! Now I don't deep fry, but if you wanted to saute your rolls in a pan (I use coconut oil spray) you can definitely do that as well.


Deep in whichever sauce you please or enjoy it alone. Either way they are absolutely delicious and a guilt-free treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment